Monday, March 26, 2012

Anniversary

And, so today marks my three year anniversary on the latest leg of my journey.  The only difference between this day and any other is, thankfully, nothing.  Just one more day of sobriety, which is all (for this) I can ask for to continue today and tomorrow.  The marking of time is to show that the program of AA works so those coming into the program and see that no matter how far you have come, or believe you have sunk, that you can come back and lead a fulfilling life.

What the past number of years have taught me is what I have now I don't want to lose.  I had thought that the drink was saving me from the pain of my life, when, in fact, it was going exactly the opposite.  Living my life, experiencing my life with those that I love and who love me -- that is what is saving me.  Life is joyful.  Life is painful.  Life is to be experienced.  What I have now is something that I want to keep and will work as hard as I can to make sure I keep myself in a position to stay here.  I owe this to myself, my wife, my kids, my higher power to not take that next drink.  So far, so many 24 hours good.

No comments:

Post a Comment