Saturday, September 10, 2011

Egocentric

In the beginning, learning about myself and the disease, I was struck by how egocentric the whole process is.  Egocentric because the drinking was all about me.  No one poured the liquor down my throat.  No one told me that drinking was the only way to solve the pain.  The was my ego taking myself out of the world for protection from the perceived pain and suffering.

In sobriety, it is also egocentric, but, in a different way.  The healing and spirituality is also all about me.  I am the one going to meetings to get myself better.  No one is forcing me to go (although there are certainly consequences if I do not).  No one is also forcing me *not* to drink.  However, the difference between the egocentricity of drinking and this is the fact that by focusing on self and healing, it allows and frees me to give myself and offer myself to others.  The alcohol took that away from me.  The spirituality gives that back.

No comments:

Post a Comment